Thursday, January 20, 2011

As blue as my blue paintings get?




I seriously started this painting tonight, and I'm excited to get to work on it this weekend. It will have more fishes, and a somewhat more graphic flare, but what excites me most is that it's a bigger surface! I really miss working bigger than 3' in a direction, and it feels great to have my body interacting with the plane. Not just fingers and wrists. It was delightfully distracting to feel my spine and neck moving around, and I've missed it!

These newer paintings seem to be about goals and pursuit. Which is interesting, because it seems rather detached from the bio-psycho flare my work typically has. I think I need to work some of those ideas back into the work, because I think there is a strength in the biological approach as those viewing the art have something meaningful to relate to. We can all take part in the discussion of the body. Nevertheless, it's freeing to explore different concepts, and being the control freak I am, I am excited to link whatever I find in these works to... well, rather lamely stated, past and future pieces. I am happy this painting is succeeding in confronting some of my technological weaknesses as well, and I can tell I will be learning quite a bit from the process regardless of the results.

I guess maybe the goals are coming from personal psychological goals to overcome oneself. Which is to let the body free itself from biologically induced torment? Do I know what I'm talking about? (That means no.)

Note: Please excuse my poor photo. I paint at night because I work in the day, and I'm just so excited to look at it the next day on my lunch break that I have to post it! Also - the real painting really isn't all the blue - the iridescence is just reflecting a schwack.

No comments:

Post a Comment